Brexit Information for Businesses

Placing manufactured goods on the EU market from 1 January 2021

The Government has published guidance about what you need to do to comply with regulations on manufactured goods you place on the market in the European Union from 1 January 2021.

For further information, visit their Manufactured Goods Transition site

Article added 11th September 2020


Use of the new UKCA marking in place of the CE mark

The UKCA (UK Conformity Assessed) marking is a new UK product marking that will be used for goods being placed on the market in Great Britain (England, Wales and Scotland). It covers most goods which previously required the CE marking.

From 1 January 2021 the technical requirements (‘essential requirements’) you must meet – and the conformity assessment processes and standards that can be used to demonstrate conformity – will be largely the same as they are now.

The UKCA marking can be used from 1 January 2021. However, to allow businesses time to adjust to the new requirements, you will still be able to use the CE marking until 1 January 2022 in most cases.

For further information about when and how to use the marking, as well as downloadable image files of the mark, visit the Government's UKCA website

Article added 11th September 2020


Launch of Government website for Customs, VAT and Excise-related legislation

The Government has launched a new website, where they will post information about changes in legislation and  relating to Customs, VAT and Excise arrangements when dealing with the EU after 1 January 2021, as well as any relevant Customs notices.

For further information, visit the Customs, VAT & Excise collection website

Article added 14th September 2020


Marking, labelling and marketing standards

The Government has produced guidance for businesses importing and exporting food products, plant seeds and manufactured goods, including information about labelling for food and drink and organic food. Go to their Marking & Labelling website for further information.

Article added 14th September 2020


Guidance for importing and exporting plants and plant products from 1st January 2021

Guidance notes have been published, outlining the requirements for importing and exporting plants and plant products, including information about Phytosanitary Certificates (PC) for high priority plants and plant products. These controls include living plants and certain plant products, such as some fruit & vegetables, cut flowers and timber etc. and even extend to used agricultural and forestry machinery. For further information, visit the Government's Plants & Plant Products website.

Article added 14th September 2020