Covid-related Information

International and domestic freight transport (including by air, ship, road and rail, including roll-on/roll-off transports) is classified by UK government as an essential activity in the context of its travel advice. The advice against non-essential travel is not intended to apply to international and domestic freight transport. For further information, visit the Gov.UK Freight Transport website or HM Government’s website providing an overview of advice and support to the Transport and Travel sector

Covid Advice for Taxis and Private Hire Vehicles

The Government has published information about the recommended actions that drivers, operators and owners of taxis or private hire vehicles (PHVs) can take to protect against coronavirus. This includes guidance on conducting Covid risk assessments, the use of face coverings, cleaning procedures etc. 

For further information visit the Government's Taxis and PHVs website

Article added 24th November 2020

Additional Advice for travel to countries rated red, amber or green

The Department for Transport has produced additional guidance for lorry drivers and maritime and aviation transport crew moving freight between the UK and places with outbreaks of variant strain COVID-19 (currently Denmark).

For information, including links to the Passenger Locator Form etc. visit the Government's Variant Strain Transport website.

Article updated 27th May 2021

Driving for Better Business

Highways England, through their Driving for Better Business programme, have launched a Covid-19 Transport Toolkit, which contains useful information and links as well as informative Webinars about issues relating to fleet management, essential drivers etc:

Article added 21st April 2020


Furloughed drivers and recording mobile working time

The government has published guidance for operators and furloughed drivers on EU mobile working time rules and EU and AETR drivers’ hours and tachograph rules. See Furloughed Workers on Mobile Working Time

Article added 1st June 2020

Website links verified 8th September 2020


Brexit-related Information

UK Licence for the Community

Following the UK's withdrawal from the EU, you need a UK Licence for the Community if you make journeys for hire or reward within the EU, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

The UK Licence for the Community has replaced the EU Community Licence and is a single permit that covers trips between these countries. It also allows transit traffic through these countries to and from non-EU countries - but you need extra permits for the non-EU countries.

For further information about the permits, and details about fees and how to apply, visit the Government’s UK Licence for the Community website

Article added 6th January 2021

For a general over view of action required by UK goods vehicle operators to carry out international road haulage, visit the Government's  International Road Haulage website.

For the latest guidance on working in and travelling to the EU from 1 January 2021 for transport operators & workers and visitors & passengers, visit the Government’s Transport Collection Page.

Article added 6th November 2020